The weekend calls for one thing......
baking, and don't we have the perfect, healthy recipe for you. Quick, easy and simple to make, and here's how...
Courgette and Lime Cake
This refreshing courgette sponge and lime cream cheese combination will satisfy your sweet tooth but won't be too heavy on the stomach.
For the cake, you will need:
- 2 courgettes
- 3 eggs
- 125ml vegetable oil
- 150g caster sugar
- 225g self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
For the icing, you will need:
- 250g cream cheese
- 100g icing sugar
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- Zest of 1 lime
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl with the vegetable oil and caster sugar, beat until combined.
- Sieve the flour, bicarbonate soda and baking powder into the mixing bowl. Stir gently until it forms a thick, creamy mixture.
- Prepare a sieve over a bowl and grate the courgettes into the sieve. The courgettes contain a generous amount of liquid which is not needed for the cake. Allow the liquid to sieve out of the grated courgettes. To help it along, push down using a spoon.
- Add the grated courgettes into the cake mixture and stir until it is incorporated throughout. The moisture from the grated courgettes should have loosened your mixture, allowing you to pour into your cake tins.
- Line and grease two round cake tins and evenly pour in your cake mixture.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the middle.
- While the cakes are cooling, place the cream cheese into a bowl and beat until it loosens.
- Add the icing sugar and stir gently until combined, if the icing seems a little loose, add one tablespoon of icing sugar at a time to allow it to thicken. Add lime juice and mix well.
- Once your cakes are cool, remove one from the tin and spread half of the icing over the cake. Remove the second cake and place this over the top. Spread the remaining icing over the top of cake and garnish with the lime gratings.
Tag us in the photos of your cake on social media using @ilovehaus