The perfect treat for a warm summer's day - the strong, tangy lemon flavour delicately hits your taste buds, and the light, fluffy meringue melts on your tongue. This fresh treat creates an explosion of flavour and texture, with little effort needed to bake this masterpiece, you could whip one up in no time!
We acquired the help of the trusted SCANPAN TechnIQ Windsor to create the intricate filling, as well as the Emile Henry flan dish which allowed us to serve in style, and was the ideal size for creating this family sized pie.
You will need for the pastry:
- 350g plain flour
- 2tbsp icing sugar
- 200g cold cut butter
- 2 egg yolks
You will need for the filling:
- Zest of 4 lemons
- 250ml lemon juice
- 4tbsp cornflour
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 large orange
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 85g butter
You will need for the meringue:
- 5 egg whites
- 100g caster sugar
- 1tbsp cornflour
1) Lets begin with the pastry - Sieve the plain flour and icing sugar into a mixing bowl. Add the butter and egg yolks, then mix until well combined.
2) Empty the pastry into your Emile Henry dish and press into place. Pierce the base of the pastry with a fork and pop in the fridge for 30 minutes.
3) Grate the zest of 4 lemons, then cut in half and juice until you have 250ml.
4) Remove the pastry from the fridge, line with grease proof paper and fill with baking beans or a cake tin, and bake for 20-25 minutes.
5) Now let's move onto the filling - put the cornflour, lemon zest, caster sugar and lemon juice into your SCANPAN Windsor, then bring to a medium heat. Mix until well combined.
6) Juice the orange and add water until you have 200ml. Add this to the pan and stir well.
7) Finally, add the egg yolks, one whole egg and butter, then wait for the mixture to thicken, making sure to stir regularly. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
8) Once the filling has cooled, pop it into your pastry and shake to level, then refrigerate for 15 minutes.
9) Meanwhile, in a bowl add the egg whites (you should have 5 left from the yolks you have used above!), mix until pale and fluffy.
10) Add the caster sugar tablespoon by tablespoon, to ensure it is thoroughly incorporated and to achieve silky meringue. Add 1tbsp cornflour and whisk until firm, fluffy peaks form.
11) Remove the pie from the fridge and put your meringue into a piping bag, then pipe your desired design onto the pie. Finally, lightly blow torch the top of the meringue until golden brown.
You can see a step by step video over on our IGTV @ilovehaus!