The last delicious recipe we have to share with you this Easter weekend - these marble creme egg cupcakes are a huge hit with everyone who consumes them. Pure tastiness with powerful punches of sweet, chocolatey flavour. Combining the lightest chocolate and vanilla marble cake with rich, creamy icing, topped with a traditional split creme egg. Remember, cupcakes are easier to sneak out of the kitchen too!
You will need for the cake:
- 250g butter
- 250g caster sugar
- 250g self-raising flour
- 5 eggs
- 3tbsp milk
- 3tbsp cocoa powder
- 1tsp vanilla extract
You will need for the icing:
- 200g butter
- 400g icing sugar
- 4tbsp cocoa powder
- 100g milk chocolate
- 2tbsp milk
- 1 bag of mini cream eggs
1) Preheat your oven to 180°C. Beat together the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl until light, pale and fluffy.
2) Crack your eggs in a separate bowl and whisk. Add the beaten egg bit by bit to the butter and sugar mixture. Stir until combined.
3) Sift in the flour and stir well. The mixture might be a little thick, add the milk bit by bit until the texture becomes loose.
4) Seperate the mixture evenly into two bowls. Add the cocoa powder to one and stir. Then, add the vanilla extract to the other bowl and stir well.
5) Line a 12 hole cupcake tin with cases. Spoon a teaspoon of the chocolate mixture, then vanilla mixture. Keep adding and alternating, bit by bit until all of the cake mixture has gone.
6) Lightly shake the cupcake tin to level the batter. Use a skewer to make the marble effect, simply swirl in a figure of 8 in each cupcake case 5-6 times until the chocolate and vanilla mixture has intertwined. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
7) Remove from the oven and leave to cool. Meanwhile, begin to beat the butter in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add in the icing sugar and carefully mix. Add the cocoa powder, chocolate and milk, then mix until completely combined.
8) Pop the buttercream into a piping bag and begin to pipe on the top of each cupcakes, starting on the outside and working your way inwards.
9) Slice the mini cream eggs in half and add to the top of each cupcake.
Enjoy, try not to eat them all at once, remember, sharing is caring! Tag us in your creations on Instagram @ilovehaus