Eton mess, passion fruit and cupcakes are three things that taste amazing on their own, but taste incredible together, that's why we decided to create this sweet recipe. Doesn't passion fruit just remind you of summer? We all need a reminder of the most tropical time of the year right now. Transport yourself to those uplifting days with this delicious dessert. The combination of soft sponge, tart passion fruit, fluffy cream and crunchy meringue is a sensation in every mouth. Fresh but powerful in taste, this is a cupcake that you will definitely not forget about.
We're sure you are probably drooling by now so here's how to make these beauties...
You will need for the cupcakes:
- 175g caster sugar
- 175g butter
- 175g self-raising flour
- 1/2tsp Baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 2 x passion fruit seeds and pulp
You will need for the cream:
- 300ml double cream
- 2tbsp caster sugar
You will need for the passion fruit syrup:
- 1 x passion fruit seeds and pulp
- 1tsp caster sugar
and you will need 1 meringue nest for sprinkling on top.
1) Line a 12 hole cupcake tin with cake cases and preheat the oven to 180°C.
2) Beat together the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
3) Add the flour, baking powder, eggs and passion fruit to the mixture and beat until combined.
4) Fill your cupcake cakes 1/3 of the way full with the cake mixture and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until they spring to touch.
5) While they are in the oven, make the syrup by putting the passion fruit and caster sugar into a small saucepan and allow to simmer for 5-10 minutes on a medium heat. When the mixture forms a syrup, remove from heat and allow to cool.
6) Once your cakes are out of the oven, leave them to completely cool.
7) Beat the cream and sugar in a bowl until thick, fluffy and silky.
8) Put the cream into a piping back and pipe onto your cupcakes. Create a dip in the centre of the cream, using the back of a teaspoon, this is for the passion fruit syrup to sit in.
9) Scoop the syrup into the dips. Break a meringue nest into piece and sprinkle on top of your cupcakes.
You can see a step by step video over on our IGTV @ilovehaus
Tag us in your recreations!